As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI screenies, mods and macro discussion

OnionknightOnionknight Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So the Old UI thread is off, alone and dying somewhere. I am not interested in necro posting so I thought I would start a new 2.0 UI thread. Lets see what you got!

This is what I was able to do with mine. Still not done but getting there.
newinterfacemf9.th.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5162/newinterfacemf9.jpg

edit: If anyone is interested here is a zip of Addon folder.
http://files.filefront.com//;6311566;;/

730885PbAdw.png
Onionknight on

• Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you post a UI shot in this thread, you are required by law to tell me what you're using for your actionbars.

I downloaded the new Nurfed and found that actionbars are no longer included; just the unitframes stuff. Whyyyyy

Tried Bongos and it's OK but the limitations on buttons is super lame. Only 12 buttons to a single bar? Only 120 buttons total? WTF?

Any suggestions? I likes me a lot of sizeable, scaleable actionbars that can snap to a grid and are somewhat easy to set up (holy shit, the new Nurfed just blew my mind, and it was only for unitframes!). Templating is almost a necessity as I have ten characters that I actively play and no way am I going through the same meticulous setup from scratch 10 times.

Little help?

whuppins on
  • Options
    CaptHighSpeedCaptHighSpeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    looks like trinity bars with perl unit frames to me.

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I made a stealth edit to my original post with a zip of my addons.

I will tell you I am using Bongos for my action bars. For what I need they have plenty of flexibility. Sometimes you just have to get a bit creative.

[spoiler:1aee332365]Bongos is apparently a bad word and gets filtered if you have your profanity filter on. Tee hee[/spoiler:1aee332365]

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I made a stealth edit to my original post with a zip of my addons.

I will tell you I am using Bongos for my action bars. For what I need they have plenty of flexibility. Sometimes you just have to get a bit creative.

[spoiler:2f7c195ea4]Bongos is apparently a bad word and gets filtered if you have your profanity filter on. Tee hee[/spoiler:2f7c195ea4]
    Haha, that can't be right. Maybe if the addon was called "titties", but bongos? Personally, I think it's the "bong" portion that may be tripping the filter. I'll have to try it out when I get home though.

I admit I did feel kind of weird trying to set up the UI last night on my (female) mage. Kept typing /bongos to get the options window up, like I was trying to do some risque emote.

whuppins on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    Tried Bongos and it's OK but the limitations on buttons is super lame. Only 12 buttons to a single bar? Only 120 buttons total? WTF?

120 total is the hardcoded amount of buttons in WoW.

12 buttons to a bar is because there's 10 bars with 12 buttons = 120. Remove buttons from a bar and you can add them to another. I only use three bars with bongos anyway.

Echo on
  • Options
    eXtoRneXtoRn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Trinity worked ok for my rogue... but it wasnt nearly capable for my druid.

Right now I am using Bongos, and to be honest I get the same functionality from Bongos as I did from Discord, and it only took me 5 minutes to set up.

[For you druids out there - You can get a Stealth bar for your cat, which is sexy]

So .. when I stealth in Cat, it auto pulls up my Stealth bar, and all my keys are bound to it so nicely. Which took a bit of setting up with Discord.

I have made my Druids UI as simple as my Rogues, and it works very well.

If you havn't tried it, give it a whirl, and play with it.

eXtoRn on
    Hahahaha the paladin Tier 4 set is So Gay.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

That I didn't know. Did this change recently? Because I could have sworn that the old Nurfed let you create a hojillion buttons, with keybindings and everything. I guess I never used more than 120, though.

...hmmm, now that I think of it, Nurfed was probably clever and made it look like you could have infinite buttons (you could even put skills into them), but they didn't actually function if you tried to click them/hit their bound key. I remember running into that problem when I was going nuts with buttons one time. Oh well.
    12 buttons to a bar is because there's 10 bars with 12 buttons = 120. Remove buttons from a bar and you can add them to another. I only use three bars with bongos anyway.

Yeah, but you can never have more than 12 buttons to a bar, no matter how your other bars are set up. 10 bars isn't some universal truth; it's an arbitrary number. Why not be able to make 5 bars with 24 buttons? After all, it lets you do 120 bars with 1 button each, which is of course useless.

People would always bang on Nurfed but it was smart enough to automatically switch stance bars for warriors/rogues/druids and retain the proper keybindings. You didn't have to worry about setting up separate bars and you could create bars with basically any dimensions you wanted. I admit I ran a pretty exotic actionbar setup (2 3x3s, 6 1x1s, and 1 12x3, plus extra slots for warrior/rogue/druid stances), and I know that technically Bongos is able to duplicate this setup, it's just a lot more work in my case. Oh well, at least it has templates so I only have to do it once.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    Echo wrote:

That I didn't know. Did this change recently? Because I could have sworn that the old Nurfed let you create a hojillion buttons, with keybindings and everything. I guess I never used more than 120, though.

...hmmm, now that I think of it, Nurfed was probably clever and made it look like you could have infinite buttons (you could even put skills into them), but they didn't actually function if you tried to click them/hit their bound key. I remember running into that problem when I was going nuts with buttons one time. Oh well.

Yeah, but you can never have more than 12 buttons to a bar, no matter how your other bars are set up. 10 bars isn't some universal truth; it's an arbitrary number. Why not be able to make 5 bars with 24 buttons? After all, it lets you do 120 bars with 1 button each, which is of course useless.

People would always bang on Nurfed but it was smart enough to automatically switch stance bars for warriors/rogues/druids and retain the proper keybindings. You didn't have to worry about setting up separate bars and you could create bars with basically any dimensions you wanted. I admit I ran a pretty exotic actionbar setup (2 3x3s, 6 1x1s, and 1 12x3, plus extra slots for warrior/rogue/druid stances), and I know that technically Bongos is able to duplicate this setup, it's just a lot more work in my case. Oh well, at least it has templates so I only have to do it once.

Once you get used to manuvering in Bong's it takes almost no time at all. In fact all I do at this point to modify is unlock bars and right click. BAM, there are all the options I need for that bar.

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Whuppins, while you can't have 1 bar with 24 buttons, you can just attach two bars together that each have 12 buttons and then you have what you want. The functionality even resizes the bars at the same time.

shadowane on
  • Options
    eXtoRneXtoRn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just noticed the cool down timer there .... what mod is that?

eXtoRn on
    Hahahaha the paladin Tier 4 set is So Gay.
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    OnionKnight: After installing Perl, did you have any issue with the "target" frame and Party frames from the default UI not going away?

If so, how did you fix them?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    Whuppins, while you can't have 1 bar with 24 buttons, you can just attach two bars together that each have 12 buttons and then you have what you want. The functionality even resizes the bars at the same time.
    You're right, of course. I'm sorry, I don't mean to make it sound like Bongos can't do the stuff I want, it's just not as flexible as Nurfed was, which makes more work to arrive at the same result. The big 24-button bar thing is simple enough, but in my case, I have a ridiculous layout that I'm not even going to show you because everyone will laugh at me and no one will take the rest of my comments seriously. I need to do some planning, but I'm sure I can come up with a reasonable facsimile while staying within Bongo's 12-buttons-per-bar limitation -- which I still think is unnecessary.

I had a couple few questions coming away from last night's play session with Bongos; maybe one of the more Bongos-enlightened chaps can answer them.

- WTF is the "Roll Bar"? I have a feeling it's something very obvious, but I can't figure it out and haven't been able to find any documentation among all the UI sites that are down.

- How does the sticky behavior of bars work? Can you stick more than one bar together? How does it decide when to drag the whole mess and when to break off the one bar?

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Reigner wrote:
    OnionKnight: After installing Perl, did you have any issue with the "target" frame and Party frames from the default UI not going away?

If so, how did you fix them?

Sorry, no :(. Everything worked right out of the box for me, except for CT Raid Frames.

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wait, Bongos allows you to change the dimensions of the bars? So instead of 1 x 10, I can have a 2 x 5? Can it do numbers less than or greater than 10? If so, how? I was struggling to set it up the other day and the only reason I stopped using it was because I couldn't figure out how to do bars other than 1 x 10.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wait, Bongos allows you to change the dimensions of the bars? So instead of 1 x 10, I can have a 2 x 5? Can it do numbers less than or greater than 10? If so, how? I was struggling to set it up the other day and the only reason I stopped using it was because I couldn't figure out how to do bars other than 1 x 10.

You click on the button and drag it off the bar. and form them into whatever bars you want. you could do a zig-zag pattern if you want.

Personally after taking 2hours to set up discord I went over to Bongos, took me five mins to figure it out. Bongos is almost completly point, click, and drag. Anything not covered in that is surely coverd in the /bongos options of which they keep it suprisingly short and sweet.

Bongos get my A++ rating for being easy to use and easy to set up.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    - WTF is the "Roll Bar"? I have a feeling it's something very obvious, but I can't figure it out and haven't been able to find any documentation among all the UI sites that are down.

- How does the sticky behavior of bars work? Can you stick more than one bar together? How does it decide when to drag the whole mess and when to break off the one bar?
    The roll bar is where rolls go. So when you are in a group and the need/greed stuff pops up, it goes in there. Took me a little while to figure that out.

Not sure about this to be honest. I think it may know which order the bars are attached in and you can detach them in that order. If you need to separate bars, I'd turn on/off sticky bars probably.

Señor, to change the layout of bars, unlock the bars and then right-click on the bar you are interested in. A menu pops up that lets you directly change the number of buttons on the bar, how many buttons in each row, the size and transparency. Possibly one more thing.

Golem, you can separate buttons from bars by clicking on the button? Do you have to hold shift or something? Otherwise doesn't it just move the whole bar around?

edit: And yeah, you can type /bongos to get the UI menu to pop up. You can also just do /bongos unlock or /bongos lock if you just want to change something quickly about a bar. I really liked the keybindings stuff too although it wigged out on me once when I left the menu on the keybindings section and closed it.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    whuppins wrote:

The roll bar is where rolls go. So when you are in a group and the need/greed stuff pops up, it goes in there. Took me a little while to figure that out.

haha I was wondering why my loot screen was so tiny last night in ZG. Haha, I feel so amature right now.

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    Golem, you can separate buttons from bars by clicking on the button? Do you have to hold shift or something? Otherwise doesn't it just move the whole bar around?

well click on that buttons number and pull it off the bar. Any number in blue means its been attached to a bar and when you click on the blue and drag is should seperate off. When a number is orange/yellow it is the first button of a bar, or is not attached to anything.

Also once you get your bars in place save 2 different profiles. Ive had problems with it not loading a profile right near patches and data pushes.

- WTF is the "Roll Bar"?
    The roll bar is where rolls go.

That in no way shouldnt have made me laugh as much as I did.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think there's a misunderstanding here and Golem's talking about moving the actual skill from one button slot to another. I'd like to be wrong about this, though.

Also, roll bar, d'oh, hehe. To be fair, I did do some /rolls last night in trying to figure it out and nothing appeared. Maybe you have to actually be in a group, or maybe it only tracks the built-in need/greed roll system, not the /random function.

Thanks for the info about stickiness. I guess I don't care so much about the nitpicky things as I do about whether you can stick more than two bars together. I wasn't able to do this last night.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nah, /random still goes to the chat box. The roll box merely gives you the ability to move where the defualt need/greed boxes show up on your screen.

edit: Also, note, don't change the number of bars that bongos allows once you get your UI set up. It will move everything back to defaults. And, golem, I'll be sure to save a second version of my UI. I would hate to lose it again.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    Nah, /random still goes to the chat box. The roll box merely gives you the ability to move where the defualt need/greed boxes show up on your screen.

edit: Also, note, don't change the number of bars that bongos allows once you get your UI set up. It will move everything back to defaults. And, golem, I'll be sure to save a second version of my UI. I would hate to lose it again.
    Ohhhh, the roll boxes themselves. Now I get it. That's not a bad feature.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Golem wrote:
    shadowane wrote:
    - WTF is the "Roll Bar"?
    The roll bar is where rolls go.

That in no way shouldnt have made me laugh as much as I did.

sig'ed

assuming I didn't mess it up

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    I think there's a misunderstanding here and Golem's talking about moving the actual skill from one button slot to another. I'd like to be wrong about this, though.

No im talking about the actual empty buttons.

Type /bongos

Unclick the lock bars option. If your starting fresh (I like to when I get new patches) all the buttons should be in a big ass block in the middle of the screen.

Just seperate the bars then Click on a blue box on the end of a bar and drag it off it should come off without moving the rest of the bar, then you can attach other blocks to it by pulling another one close to it and setting it down.

remeber

blue = attached
    Orange = bar, or the one you click to drag a bar.

edit: also if your still having problems right/left click on the button/bar and you should get a further option window.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm so torn with you, Golem.

Such horrible spelling and punctuation, but such wisdom therein.

Thanks, this could potentially resolve all my gripes with Bongos. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    I'm so torn with you, Golem.

Such horrible spelling and punctuation, but such wisdom therein.

Thanks, this could potentially resolve all my gripes with Bongos. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Feel free to bash my spelling and punctuation and spelling as it needs work anyway. Since people have started not flaming me for my spelling errors I've started to slip back into my old methods.

Edit:

Also, don't be fooled that isn't wisdom its just way to much free time. Easily mistaken for wisdom, to be sure, but I've much work to go before I become wise.

Golem on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't understand all these wacky setups with buttons in the middle of the freaking screen. I would never be able to play like that.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:
    I don't understand all these wacky setups with buttons in the middle of the freaking screen. I would never be able to play like that.

What class do you play?

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:

What mod are you using? Bongos buttons start in the middle as default but you ment to move them out and around. Although on my UI I place Bongo buttons around my HUD for easy click use. (ie. totems, blind, etc)

Golem on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:

What class do you play?

Druid mostly.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OK then, with this new knowledge, one more question and I'll shut up about Bongos... maybe. Do the individual buttons that you drag off automatically 'snap' onto whatever hunk of buttons you try to attach them to, or do you have to line them up manually? Are they still considered part of the bar you dragged them off of, or are they now a new 1x1 bar? What I actually want (although I said I wasn't going to show people this) is a blob of buttons that approximates the numpad:
    ...-
    456+

The dots here actually represent unused keys, not the decimal key. In Nurfed, this was as easy as creating a 4x5 grid and simply leaving the unused positions blank. I could do something similar with two 2x5's in Bongos, but I'd rather group the 12 buttons into this layout with the UI still considering it a single bar -- there are many benefits to this, especially when playing a multiple-stance class such as warrior or druid. Would it be possible to create such a layout, with the little floater keys (-, +, and 0)? Does this single-button-dragging functionality allow for something like this? If so, do the buttons 'snap' into place or would I have to eyeball them and line them up manually?

whuppins on
  • Options
    martinimartini Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You guys are seriously making me feel retarded. I tried for a half-hour last night to get Bongos set up, and eventually gave up and went looking for other bar mods. And on my old UI, I set up Discord with no issues at all, easy as pie. Maybe I should give it another shot tonight...

martini on
    I raised the wall. And I will be the one to knock it down.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:
    MuddBudd wrote:

What class do you play?

Druid mostly.

My Druid UI was fairly minimal. The only thing you I ever ran into was needing room for my various healing spells. My problem now is totems take up a lot of bar real estate, so having the Totems I use in Raids around my character helps clean things up and puts them in a place I can easily get to them.

It's just personal taste.

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So the one mod I forgot to get in anticipation of the patch was damage meters. Anyone have a working link they could share with me? Pretty much all the mod sites seem to be down so no luck finding it on my end.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    OK then, with this new knowledge, one more question and I'll shut up about Bongos... maybe. Do the individual buttons that you drag off automatically 'snap' onto whatever hunk of buttons you try to attach them to, or do you have to line them up manually? Are they still considered part of the bar you dragged them off of, or are they now a new 1x1 bar? What I actually want (although I said I wasn't going to show people this) is a blob of buttons that approximates the numpad:
    ...-
    456+

The dots here actually represent unused keys, not the decimal key. In Nurfed, this was as easy as creating a 4x5 grid and simply leaving the unused positions blank. I could do something similar with two 2x5's in Bongos, but I'd rather group the 12 buttons into this layout with the UI still considering it a single bar -- there are many benefits to this, especially when playing a multiple-stance class such as warrior or druid. Would it be possible to create such a layout, with the little floater keys (-, +, and 0)? Does this single-button-dragging functionality allow for something like this? If so, do the buttons 'snap' into place or would I have to eyeball them and line them up manually?

I think I understand what you are asking... you would basically set up your bars in the allignment you want and drop your spells/actions into place. Look at my UI. See the totem buttons around my character. Those are 4 bars, one under the other, and single buttons per bar grouped to make that shape.

Once you have the shape you want you can bind them anyway you want to

I hope that made sense...

Onionknight on
    730885PbAdw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    ...-
    456+

left click a bar you should be able to adjust the rows/ colums of it with no trouble into a grid. You could just snap it together which is pretty easy but alot of work.

Edit: As far as hotkeys goes it probly the same bar, but as far as point and click or visuality goes it is its own bar.
    If so, do the buttons 'snap' into place or would I have to eyeball them and line them up manually?

ya they auto snap which is annoying when Im trying to move my exp bar around and it likes snapping to the bottom of my bag bar but it auto snaps edges that are dropped within so much of eachother.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Golem, they only auto-snap if you have sticky bars selected.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    Golem, they only auto-snap if you have sticky bars selected.

Learn something new everyday. Mine I guess had the option already turned on when I loaded it. Pretty much everything I know is just from me being bored and taking 15 mins out to try alot of different stuff, so plenty for me to learn ^^.

Golem on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Screenshot portion of this thread is severly lacking.

wowscrnshot120706141956ng2.jpg

Im just using Nurfed and trinity for my bars. Its simple and I like it. It also run far better than my UI prepatch.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I guess my problem is that my numpad layout uses only 12 buttons total, but in order for them to be placed into a single grid, that grid would have to measure 4x5. Bongos appears to have a 12-button-per-bar limit, I just can't figure out if it would consider my layout a 20-button bar (4x5) or if, through the single-button-rearrangement thing that Golem's talking about, I can trick it into treating that whole mess as just one bar.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    I guess my problem is that my numpad layout uses only 12 buttons total, but in order for them to be placed into a single grid, that grid would have to measure 4x5. Bongos appears to have a 12-button-per-bar limit, I just can't figure out if it would consider my layout a 20-button bar (4x5) or if, through the single-button-rearrangement thing that Golem's talking about, I can trick it into treating that whole mess as just one bar.

Hmm not sure to be honest though Ill mess with it tonight and post the results. Everything I know about bongos is just from me doing trial and error.

Golem on
This discussion has been closed.